Tuesday 8 December 2009

Windows 7: not so great after all...?!

I know, I know. Some of us are never satisifed. But it does seem to me that the point of upgrading is that things are supposed to work better after you do.

So, for those of you out there considering upgrading, and for those of you who like problem solving and feel like suggesting solutions, here, in no particular order, are some of the issues I've encountered within 12 hours of getting my sparkly new operating system. (Well, the disk is sparkly, anyway. Very pretty, in fact.)

- I'll start with a minor one, which nevertheless irks me: my screen saver is set to randomly show me photos, in shuffle mode. It now seems to be doing the same order every time - so after 2 minutes of inactivity, up comes the same photo, and then the same one that followed it before, etc. Since this includes a couple of very lovely pictures of Josh Lyman early on, you'd think I wouldn't mind, but...

- I apparently do not have permission to update my own iPod. I won't even begin to try and express my frustration on that one, lest I lose all of my readers for good.

- This apparently is an Internet Explorer problem - I no longer have "permission" to click on hyperlinks in my Outlook. I've tried all the solutions suggested by various people. Nothing works. It's a problem with Internet Explorer - and get this - Windows 7 is programmed so that you CAN'T uninstall it!!! So what exactly am I meant to do, hmmm?

- Skype no longer seems able to do videocalls. Which is great when that's part of your job!

- msn chat has to all extents and purposes disppeared. I can't work out what Microsoft have done with it, but I can't uninstall the new version in order to get the old one back. Grr.

- Outlook now seems unable to perform a "search" function.

Seriously, though. I know I've said this already, but isn't upgrading supposed to improve things? Aren't technological advances supposed to make our life better? Seethe, seethe.

No comments: