Thursday 25 February 2010

Twitter: the illusion of connectedness

It's a funny thing, this cyber space lark. Possibly even a quirkier place than the strange but endearing country where I find myself living.

A few months ago, I had my first Direct Message on Twitter from a properly famous (and very cool) person. That I was beside myself with excitement goes without saying. That he then re-tweeted me not long after, and THEN started "following" me was further fuel to my cyberglee. That he hasn't unfollowed me since is even more of a miracle. (Especially given my frequent and over-enthusiastic mentions of, gushings over really, one of his major rivals.)

Then there was yesterday. Oh, yesterday.

The person with whom I would most like to communicate is either not on twitter ("I don't tweet on the first date," he once said in an interview - guess there'll have to be more than one date, then) or, more likely, hiding under a false and unguessable name. But I do exchange tweets with several people whom he knows, several with whom he is currently working in fact. And when I say exchange tweets, I mean they actually message me too. This is amazing to me. I don't know why it should be - they are, after all, only people, aren't they? - but there you are, it is.

And yesterday one of them offered to pass on a message for me.

I think.

He may have been joking, but that would be cruel, unspeakably so.

Why should this have me bouncing up and down and unable to concentrate on what was a more than decent Gilmore Girls episode?

It is completely irrational. It is not even as if I have met the guy. I am no closer to the second date after which we would presumably tweet each other directly.

The illusion of connectedness. That's all it is. And yet, surprisingly powerful, intoxicating even.

Go figure.




No comments: